Early 1800s: "Pleasant Valley Hall" was the name etched on the inn’s first name plate back in the early 1880's when Mr. Hall, a local businessman from Bartlett, NH built the lodging facility to accommodate travelers on their way north through Crawford Notch to the Mt. Washington Hotel.
1928: David and Marion Irving became the proud owners and then dropped the "Hall" and added "Farm" to the sign above the door.
1937: Mr. T.H. Brooks took ownership and when entering the inn, he spotted the large Glenwood stove prominently keeping its place in the kitchen. For this he promptly changed the name to "Glenwood by the Saco", the name inherited by Mr. and Mrs. Ade Nichelm who brought their Dartmouth hospitality with them in 1939. Name Change. 1955
Post WWII - 1972: Following the War, Mr. and Mrs. Revaz operated the inn as Glenwood by the Saco until 1955 when Claire and Charlie Zumstein became the new restaurateurs. They were part of a musical troupe from Switzerland who made their mark at Harvey Gibson's Eastern Slope Inn. It was then that the most dramatic changes began to occur with the advent of their fine Swiss cuisine. Claire quickly became known for her dedication to fine food and her strict rein on the business. This theme prompted the name to The BERNERHOF, meaning the House of Bern, after a Canton in Switzerland, and was the inn’s last name change. Herman Pfeuti, Claire's nephew, had worked many seasons here before he took over in 1972.
1977: Local Mt Washington Valley residents, Ted and Sharon Wroblewski purchased the inn in 1977 and built the inn and restaurant business. They opened the Taste of the Mountains Cooking School which continued for 25 years to attract culinary travelers to the inn. The Wroblewskis built the inn and restaurant into a successful and award winning business.
2003: George and June Phillips purchased both The Bernerhof Inn and the sister property, The Red Apple Inn. The Phillips continued in the fine tradition of exceptional service for which the inns have become famous until the 2009 recession occurred. Eventually the inn was closed and auctioned.
2010: Badger Realty, owned and operated by longtime Valley resident, Dick Badger, purchased the Bernerhof at auction and set about renovating and redecorating the inn from top to bottom. Many of the fine traditional antiques and European styled touches are still there, with a dose of modern elegance and many state-of-the-art amenities.